Tuesday 23 September 2014

Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare



In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.
    The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organisation of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them....




The Mortal Instruments being one of my favorite series,  I had The infernal Devices high on my to-be-read list  for a-longer-than-I’d-like-to-admit time and when I finally got to read it earlier this month it really blew me away!

As a story it was well-written, engaging, full of twists keeping me at the edge of my seat at all times and action packed. It started a bit slow for my liking but I think that contributed to the world building which left me completely enchanted. I was fascinated by  Cassandra Clare’s view on the Victorian London and the fact that she tried to stay true to the rules and morals of that time such as the way she showed us through Tessa and Jessamine how women thought back then and what was their ‘duty’ according to society- we see an example of that by Tessa’s reaction on seeing Sophie dressed in gear. 

Another thing that intrigued me was how different Shadowhunter women where from everyday girls. For example, the girls who were Shadowhunters  were first fighters and then ladies whereas the ‘mundane’ girls had their mind set on finding a man and settle down and dress elegantly.  I found it really interesting observing the differences between them.

I loved the complexity of each of the characters and the way they intrigued you from their very first appearance.  By the end of the book I felt connected with them and invested in them and their storylines.

Magnus’ appearance was also an amazing addition to the book!  (Was I the only one who when I saw Camille and Magnus together I shouted: “Nooo! Malec forever!”….. Hahahaha! You should have seen the look my brother was giving me!)

Characters


Tessa, without a doubt, belongs in the small list of female main characters that I love.
She was strong willed, brave, had a functioning brain which she actually used and above all, she was a fan of literature. I loved the fact that she was willing to do anything possible to save her brother and that even though she was undeniably attracted to Will she wasn’t one of those female characters who swoons over the guy all the time and takes  whatever insult he sends their way.

Now, Will….. Oh Will…

William Herondale is one of the most complex and secretive main characters I’ve ever read about. Between his mood swings, his ability to quote famous novels and his occasional swoon worthy scenes….  I was torn between wanting to slap him and kiss him (you know, providing that, in an alternate universe, he was real *sigh*). Still, as a character he was very interesting and I’m really excited to learn more about his past in Clockwork Prince.

I really liked Jem. He was very kind-hearted and compassionate compared to Will and his story completely broke my heart but I still do like Will a little bit more…. ( Sorry Jem fans!)

Lastly, I can’t end this review without talking about my favorite character….. Henry Branwell! I adored Henry from the moment he entered the dining room with his arm on fire and without even realizing it! He is such a funny, good-natured character!
I have a feeling he’ll do great things in the next installments of the series!

Overall, this book was a solid 4.5/5 for me and not because I thought it was lacking something but because from what I’ve heard and saw this series will get even better in the next books!If you haven’t read Clockwork Angel I recommend you pick it up immediately, especially if you are a TMI fan!

Book info:
  • Paperback, 479 pages
  • Published, August 31st 2010
  • Publisher: Walker Books
  • Genre: YA / Paranormal / Historical fiction
  • Rating: 4.5/5



HAVE YOU READ CLOCKWORK ANGEL BY CASSANDRA CLARE? WHAT WERE YOUR THOUGHTS ON IT? 

No comments:

Post a Comment