Friday 17 July 2015

Discussion: DNFing Books




I'd never really DNFed a book before until recently, I always managed to get through it however bad i thought it was. But, in the past 6 months or so I've marked as DNF 2 books. Which isn't a lot if you think about it but for someone who has never DNFed before it's a big number.



Anyway, that made me wonder how long it should take someone to dnf a book?

I'm a very persistent person, so I will do my hardest to finish a book even if I'm not necessarily enjoying it but even I have my limits. In both cases (Ashes + House of Secrets) I spent a good 3 months trying to get through the book at hand, until I finally decided it wasn't happening.

The worst thing about DNFing a book, and the reason I try avoiding it, is the sense of failure you get when you don't manage to finish the book. Maybe it's different for everyone else but that's what I felt when I put down House of Secrets. But I've come to understand that it shouldn't be that way because, nowadays, almost everyone have a very busy schedule and when they do manage to make time to read they should read books that they'll enjoy. 

For example, I'm a high school student and for me this year was exceptionally hard and busy so when I did have time to read a book I wanted it to sweep me off my feet. With these two books it didn't happen and struggling to get through them made fall into a huge slump..

So, I decided from now on to give every book I read a 100 page limit. When I reach it, if I feel invested in the story I'll continue reading but If I still can't get into it I'll just put it aside. 

Do You DNF Books or Do You Try To Read The Entire Book?

5 comments:

  1. I've only ever DNF'd one book, and that was because I really just couldn't get into it. Other than that, I've never not finished one because I keep reading in the hopes that it gets better. However, as my to be read pile gets larger, I may have to start DNFing if I'm not enjoying myself. Also, when I force myself to read a book I'm not enjoying, it tends to cause a reading slump. :/
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the past I always tried to finish a book too, even if I wasn't liking it. But, with my Tbr having reached a number over 100 I don't really have the luxury of risking a reading slump anymore... My reading slumps tend to last months sometimes!

      Delete
  2. I definitely DNF books -- I'm actually about to make a post about some of the ones I've put down this year! For me, if I'm 100 pages or so into a book and still aren't excited to get back to it, that's a sign that it isn't working for me. I read so much for an editorial internship that any book I read on my own time needs to capture me!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really trying to get into this routine as of now but it's still a bit difficult for me to put a book down because I feel that I might not be giving it a fair chance.. But reading is something you should enjoy doing and I really think it's not worth finishing a book you don't like because at the end of the day you won't get anything from it except a mild case of reading slump!
      I'll be sure to check out your post when it's up! :D

      Delete
  3. I actually started accepting the fact that it is okay to DNF books, you know it could lead to a terrible slump. I think its better to simply DNF a book or just put it down and pick something up that you know you'd really enjoy. I don't think of it as failing (or not anymore anyways)- I think of it as not wasting my time on a book that I don't like while I can spend it on books that I'd enjoy WAY more. Idk the topic is controversial, but don't feel bad because you DNFd books. It's okay hahaha♥

    PS, I'm a new follower of yours :)
    Have a great day!
    Jumana @ Books by Jay

    ReplyDelete